Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Water Theme - Green Turbulence

The Turbulence U-Neck Pullover from Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature of Queensland "Katmandu" DK back side is complete and the front is started on today. Three days, and a whole lot of other stuff going on. One reason or another, I didn't get back to the lacy summer sweater. My aim is to finish it tommorrow, but I am really on this Turbulence.

A friend who's mother passed on, brought me this luscious silk and wool "Bernat Klein" (from Scotland) sweater which her mother had worked up. Gosh, I think the project may be forty years old by the looks of the intact label. My friend would like me to remake it, saving as much of her mothers stitching as possible. The shoulder seams were back-stitched with 1/2 inch seams, which I found to be rather interesting. So I went into my cedar chest and pulled out this vintage 1983 sweater I had designed to see how I had done the lace yoke. I couldn't help myself and just had to document it. I still love it, and wonder how I was ever that skinny, I tried it on and it is barely loose, it used to hang on me, oh the years of youth are slipping by, at least I could get it on! I really loved it and had a matching pair of jeans in the blue color. I can't remember the yarns, but the ribbing and yoke look like a heavy pearl cotton, and the slubby stuff is definetly viscose and maybe a little cotton. I would buy these yarns and make it again. So I am thinking to go from a 5'3" petite to an XL, I will frog the upper armholes out and apply the eylet lace to the top. I will then extend the sides by adding gussets.

Here's a jewelry set I made up a few months ago. I custom dyed the mother-of-pearl(mop) beads in the microwave. I also dyed the mop in some other pastel colors and have made a few bracelets. I think the green will appropriately be worn with the Turbulence, I like the whole idea of a water theme.

All that dying made me desire to try my hand at painting some merino. That is on the calendar this year for sure, and being taught to spin.




2 comments:

Deneen said...

I am stunned you have stuff saved from way back-

Maybe you can share your microwave dying secrets for the MOP.

Briana E. said...

Hi Terri!
I love all of your current knittings! Sweaters are my next thing to conquer, I’ll start with some baby sweaters and then move on.
Take care!