Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Old made New Bernat Klein/The Roberta Vest








Late last summer/early fall, a friend, Roberta, brought me a sack with lovely vintage sixties/seventies wool/silk fingering blend start of a sweater her mother was making, long before she passed on. This yarn, Bernat Klein is named after Bernat Klein, woollen and synthetic textile manufacturer of Galashiels, Scotland. Wow, I read this is the guy that came out with these funky wool/mohair spaced dyed woven into tweedy plaids! I used to make matching a-skirts and vests with wool like this in the sixties! I bet he was alot of Kaffe Fasset and Brandon Mabley's influences/inspirations. Hmmm, Bernat Klein really needs a comeback! So now I am trying to find out if Barry and Myrna Klein of Trendsetter Yarns are related to Bernat? There is a Begonia named after him! I am naming this newly designed vest, The Roberta Vest.

Well, the story on the sweater goes: The sweater was being made by/for the mother, who was a size three. Roberta is a bit larger than I so I put on my largest, baggiest shirt to model the remake.

I had to rip out the top and side seams of a sleeveless boatneck. There were five extra skeins that I am sure were for sleeves. Their were only seven repeats of the pattern to the top, so I added an extra one on the front and shaped a u-neck for a vest. I finished the back by having ten repeats of the leaf pattern to the top and shaped a neck. I added two side gussets of five lines of the leaf and four of the stockinette lines having to remake because I forgot to add an extra stitch at each end for seaming. I used the same finish on the neck and armholes used on Nora Gaughan's Knitting Nature U-Neck Turbulance Sweater. I loved and coveted this piece of work and so desired to keep it.

This is a cool, classic look and I am thinking about making a pattern to sell? Would you be interested in it? Please let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wettervorhersage is a set of all the phenomena occurring in a given atmosphere at a given time. Most weather phenomena occur in the troposphere, just below the stratosphere. moon weather refers, generally, to day-to-day temperature and precipitation activity, whereas climate is the term for the average atmospheric conditions over longer periods of time. When used without qualification, "weather" is understood to be the weather of Earth.

http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html